A blood test is an important tool for diagnosing a disease. It is necessary to determine the type of infection in the body, it answers the question whether it is worth taking antibiotics, and many others. Often, the results fall into the hands of parents before visiting the doctor, and they seek to recognize the presence or absence of health problems on their own. For this you need to know the norms of each indicator of the formula.
In this article we will look at one of the most important components of the blood formula, a type of white blood cells (leukocytes) – basophils. They are mainly involved in allergic and inflammatory processes that occur in the body. Their number in the total composition of leukocytes is small, but very significant for the diagnosis of certain diseases. Therefore, it is important not to ignore the increase or decrease in the level of these cells.
Causes of pathology
If the analysis shows that the basophils are elevated in the child’s blood, you need to look for the causes of this condition. There is no specific reason for the violation. It is only an indicator that can signal a wide variety of diseases:
- Viral infections (eg, chickenpox);
- Inflammatory processes in the body;
- Various blood diseases – both oncological (acute leukemia, chronic myeloid leukemia), and ordinary anemia;
- Malfunctions of the thyroid gland;
- Jaundice with hepatitis;
- Chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Taking estrogen medications;
- Lungs’ cancer.
Normal basophil level in children
Normal levels of these cells differ in children and adults. Their number is, in principle, very small – less than 1% of the total number of leukocytes, but its determination plays an important role in diagnosing a pathological condition.e-e.eu.com
The rate depends on the age of the child. So, in a newborn, it is 0.75%, which may seem to be an increased number compared to older children: in infants after a month, the level of basophils decreases to 0.5%, in children after a year it reaches 0.7%. But above 1% it should not be.
If the analysis shows that the absolute or relative content of basophils in a child is elevated, then this should in no way be ignored. You should immediately visit the doctor to find out the causes of this violation. – as mentioned above, they can range from very harmless to very dangerous, requiring urgent treatment.
There may also be a reverse state – a reduced level of basophils in a child, called basopenia. This is typical for:
- Endocrine diseases;
- Bone marrow diseases;
- Acute infections.
How to reduce the level of basophils
- To normalize the level of white cells, the main task is to find out how their increase was provoked. This pathology is overcome by treating the underlying disease that causes changes in the blood. Also, the patient can prescribe the intake of vitamin B12, which has a positive effect on blood formation. Both the dosage form of a vitamin (tablets, injections) and a diet with a high content of foods rich in B12 can prescribe. These include mainly products of animal origin: dairy products, meat and eggs.
- Abnormal white cell levels can also be observed in a healthy person with some iron deficiency, anemia. This condition is corrected by including iron-containing products in the diet or by taking iron supplements. Also, these white blood cells can increase when taking certain medications, such as estrogen-containing. Their exclusion will lead to the normalization of the level of blood cells in a natural way.
- If you find a violation in the child’s analysis, try to repeat the analysis: this may be due to the short-term effect of a minor factor, such as stress, taking some kind of medication.
- If the content of such leukocytes is still above the norm, be sure to consult a doctor. It may be necessary to pass other, more detailed analyzes to complete the picture. Do not ignore additional examinations: they can help in time to learn about the development of a dangerous disease.
- Pay attention to the diet of the child, be sure to include foods high in vitamin B12 and iron.
- Even the emotional state of a child can influence the blood formula. Try to minimize any factors leading to stress. Provide a calm, friendly atmosphere, make sure that the child respects the sleep and rest regime, does not overload at school. Mandatory daily walks in the fresh air. These recommendations will be useful for normal test results and contribute to the successful development of your child.
Elevated basophils in a child – video
From this video, you will learn more about the differential blood count, which measures the number of white blood cells (including basophils) in a sample. The role of each type of leukocytes is revealed, which indicators correspond to the norm and what its violation indicates.