Quite often, parents are faced with a situation where the smell of acetone is heard from a child. This is really very scary for many, and mothers, at a loss, do not know how to help their little ones. Today we will talk about the causes of the increase in acetone in the urine of a child, the symptoms, treatment and prevention of this condition.
Causes of pathology
The fact that our body can produce ketones is a physiological process. The main source of energy for the body is glucose, and very often in mobile and active children, it is quickly consumed.
And if time does not fill the amount of glucose in the body, it begins to form it from adipose tissue. Only in this case along with glucose and acetone is formed, which causes a lot of inconvenience.
The provoking factors of this process can be:
- Untimely replenishment of the body with baby carbohydrates.
- Excessive consumption of fatty foods.
- High physical activity.
- Suffer from emotional stress.
- Long stay in the heat or freezing.
- Insufficient fluid intake, which can lead to dehydration.
- Another quite serious reason is diabetes in children, in which much glucose is produced in the body, but insulin is not produced in the right amount, which breaks it down. As a result, produced a large number of ketone bodies, which are easily detected in the child in the urine analysis.
- There is also a metabolic disorder, in which the body does not produce some of the enzymes necessary for the proper absorption of carbohydrates.
- Acetonuria may occur due to intoxication in case of poisoning with chemicals.
- Increasing ketones may indicate the presence of cancer.
What threatens acetonuria
- If time does not take any action, can start acetonemic crisis, in which the body produces a significant amount of ketone bodies, which the liver and kidneys do not have time to cope with. These substances inhibit appetite, cause dehydration and actively act on emetic centers. Intoxication of the body occurs.
Symptoms of the disease
Acetonemic crisis can begin suddenly, and the main manifestations include the following:
- Urebenka observed weakness, drowsiness;
- Lack of appetite;
- The child smells like urine with acetone, or there may be a smell from the mouth;
- Temperature rise;
- Abdominal pain, usually in the navel;
- Repeated vomiting (smell even present in the vomit);
- Dehydration (dry mucous membranes are observed);
- The skin becomes pale;
- Attempts to give a child a drink often end with repeated vomiting.
Diagnosis and treatment
- If you have heard a suspicious smell that comes from a child, or he has the symptoms described above, you must do a urine and blood test for acetone and glucose. These are the most basic tests that will show the clinical picture. Further, if necessary, the doctor may suggest to do additional research. It is desirable, especially if the child is prone to such attacks, to do clinical tests about 1 time in 6 months.
- Today in pharmacies you can find a fairly large number of test strips for the content of ketones in the urine. These are small strips on which reagents are applied, which are capable of entering into a chemical reaction with acetone, and the color intensity indicates the content of ketone. Such tests are very convenient in order to monitor the condition of the baby and understand when it is possible to stay at home and independently assist and when it is necessary to consult a specialist. To use this method, you need fresh urine (shelf life may be 3-4 hours). It is necessary to lower one strip for a few seconds, then pull it out of the tank, remove excess liquid (gently shake) and wait a couple of minutes. The resulting color compare with the color scale, which is shown on the packaging. The resulting figure will indicate the amount of acetone in the urine.
- Value up to 2 mmol / l means an easy stage at which treatment can be performed at home.
- If the value obtained is up to 4 mmol / l and parents have already experienced this condition, treatment can be carried out at home, if you have experience. If this is the first time with a child, it is better to ask for help.
- But the value of up to 10 mmol / l speaks of a serious condition, and in such a situation it is necessary to urgently contact a specialist (even hospitalization is possible).
It is worth recalling once again that in children under 12 years old, urine analysis for acetone can be positive and this is not a pathology, but a physiological state of the body that lacks energy. And in this situation, the most basic help is to prevent dehydration and glucose therapy.
- The child should be fed with sweet compotes, tea, juices and broths. The best tool is considered a decoction of raisins. It contains a large amount of glucose, which is needed at the moment.
- In addition, if the baby is prone to such conditions, the house should have glucose (tablets or solution), which can also be given in this difficult period.
- You need to give water gradually and in small portions, because vomiting is possible, and the worse the condition, the more often they occur. In such a situation, it is most effective to drink not compotes, namely, small amounts of glucose. If the child is in serious condition, then droppers come to the rescue.
- Also, doctors often advise giving crumbs of enterosorbents (Smekta, Enterosgel, Polisorb, etc.), which help to remove toxic substances from the body. They also help to reduce cramps and pain in the abdomen.
- The child should have a timely complete nutrition, rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Be sure to be walking in the fresh air and moderate exercise, which contributes to the proper development of the body.
- Urine and blood tests should be taken regularly. This is especially important if there is diabetes or other metabolic diseases.
- There must be a balanced drinking regime so that the body does not have dehydration.
- It is very important to arrange time for sleep and rest.
Increased urine acetone in a child – video
We offer you a video in which Dr. Komarovsky tells in detail what the presence of acetone in the urine of a child means and what should be the norm of this indicator. You will also learn what kind of help you need to give the crumbs at home, and in what situation you need to go to the hospital.
As much as we would not like, but sooner or later we are confronted with the fact that children get sick. And our primary task is to know how to act correctly in a given situation.