Acute respiratory viral diseases are a frequent illness that children suffer in their preschool and primary school years. The danger of these diseases is that with improper and untimely treatment, they can give complications, so doctors often attribute antibiotics to treatment.
Today we are familiar with the instructions for use and reviews, talk about the antibiotic Supraksa, suspensions for children, and figure out when it really is necessary to use it and how to properly treat such substances.
Release form and composition of the drug
Suprax (suspension or capsules) refers to the third generation of drugs, because its main active ingredient is cefixime (cephalasporin) trihydrate, which has a higher activity against bacteria of the Enterobacteriaceae family than other preparations for children, which are considered analogues of I-II generations and are slightly inferior in price.
It is available in the form of capsules and granules. For children under 12 years old, this medicine can only be given in the form of granules, from which a suspension with a strawberry flavor is obtained.
Auxiliary substances of which the granules consist:
- Xanthan gum;
- Sodium benzoate;
- Strawberry flavoring.
This antibiotic is indicated for the following infectious diseases and their complications:
- Inflammation of the pharyngeal mucosa (pharyngitis);
- Inflammation of the tonsils (tonsillitis);
- Inflammation of the nasal and paranasal sinuses (sinusitis);
- The disease of the bronchi (bronchitis) in acute and chronic form;
- Otitis media;
- Urogenital system diseases (uncomplicated infections);
- Gonorrhea in uncomplicated form.
How to take Supraks
Only a doctor can prescribe an antibiotic to a child as a treatment and only in cases when it is really necessary.
As a rule, Suprax is prescribed when other less powerful antibiotics do not give any results. Or in the case of serious bacterial diseases or complications that may have arisen after the child has suffered viral diseases. mrcat.pw
- Before using the bottle with granules, shake and add 40 ml of water (boiled and cooled) in two stages and shake well after each addition to obtain a homogeneous suspension.
- The resulting solution should brew for 5 minutes.
- The contents of the bottle should be shaken before each use, because solid particles that do not fully dissolve in water will settle to the bottom.
- From the moment of preparation, the resulting suspension should be stored no more than 14 days at a temperature of up to 25 °.
- Children aged 6 months to 1 year appoint 3-4 ml per day. This dosage can be divided into 2 doses of 1.5-2 ml.
- 2 to 4 years old the daily dose is 5 ml.
- Children from 5 to 11 years old may prescribe 6-10 ml Supraksa.
- Children over 11 years old prescribe 400 mg of substance per day (with a weight greater than 50 kg).
This medicine can not be taken in the following situations:
- If the child has problems with the work of the kidneys.
- If there is a sensitivity to penicillin and to cephalosporins (in this case, the child may have an allergic reaction).
- Age up to 6 months (to appoint such an antibiotic can only in extreme cases).
First, every parent should know when it is really necessary for a child to be given antibiotics.
- Such drugs are necessary for the treatment of bacterial infections or in cases of complications of viral diseases (otitis media, pneumonia). If a baby has a runny nose, a sore throat, that is, a 100% viral infection, and the doctor attributes an antibiotic. Parents need to consult another specialist.
- For prophylaxis, taking such a potent drug is extremely unwise and very dangerous. Such an approach is necessary only in those cases when dangerous infections (meningitis, whooping cough, etc.) have appeared in the society where the child is or was.
- Take Supraks need 7-10 days, depending on the state and at a certain time (i.e. if you started giving the child a suspension in the morning, then throughout the course it should be given in the morning). Breaks are also undesirable.
- Even if the baby has become much better for 2-3 days, you can not refuse to continue taking antibiotics. Bacteria that have been neutralized but not yet destroyed will develop resistance to this drug, and in the future it will no longer help.
- Also during treatment, glucose can be found in the urine test. This feature must be considered if the child will need to pass this analysis.
- It is also important to remember that with long-term treatment with such a drug the intestinal microflora can be disturbed and diarrhea can occur.
Suprax for children – video
A video instruction is offered to your attention, in which you can learn how to properly dilute Suprax granules intended for children to get a suspension, and what the dosage should be.
You can also learn more about the symptoms and treatment of pharyngitis in children, which infants often suffer from, and learn what parents need to know in order to approach treatment correctly.