There are many different ailments that cannot be cured without antimicrobial therapy. A timely prescribed drug will cope with the disease as soon as possible and prevent possible complications. Any caring mother should be aware of modern antibiotics.
One of the most common and effective antibacterial drugs is Sumamed. In which cases it is necessary to take Sumamed, how to take it, so that the benefit is maximum, and the harm is minimal? All this we learn today, having carefully studied the instructions for use for children, we also learn about the forms of release (in tablets and in suspension). Of course, uncontrolled reception and, especially, self-medication with antibiotics is simply not acceptable.
Despite the fact that Sumamed is well established and has many positive reviews, only a doctor should prescribe a drug for treating children.
Release form and composition of the drug
For ease of use Sumamed has the following forms of release:
- Suspension – to take the drug in liquid form for the smallest patients, has a pleasant cherry-banana taste, comes with a measuring spoon and / or a syringe for simple compliance with the dosage;
- Pills, containing 125 mg, 250 mg and 500 mg of active substance.
The active ingredient is azithromycin.
The suspension contains 100 mg of azithromycin per 5 ml. Excipients: flavors (vanilla, cherry, banana), sucrose, hydroxypropylcellulose, anhydrous sodium phosphate, colloidal silicon dioxide, xanthan gum. The powder has a white or light yellow color, the diluted suspension has a pale yellow color.
Tablets with dosages of 125 mg, 250 and 500 mg contain the appropriate amount of azithromycin. Additional substances: corn starch, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, calcium phosphate, anhydrous dibasic, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, modified starch, magnesium stearate, preservatives, talc. Tablets are round, blue, on a break of white. On one side of the tablet there is an inscription “PLIVA”, on the other – a number corresponding to the dosage.
Sumamed is a universal antibiotic, the active substance is azithromycin. It has an antibacterial effect in the focus of inflammation.
Of course, the bacteria that caused the infection must be sensitive to this antibiotic. This medicine is prescribed for diseases that can be caused by streptococci of the CF and G groups, gram-positive cocci, anaerobic organisms, and some gram-negative bacteria. us-us.us
The most common infections caused by these bacteria are:
- Respiratory infections (tonsillitis, sore throat, scarlet fever, pneumonia, bronchitis), otitis media, otitis media, sinusitis;
- Skin infections (impetigo, erysipelas), other skin diseases;
- Urinary infectious diseases and infections of the reproductive system (urethritis, inflammation of the cervix, Lyme disease);
- Stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcers, provoked by Helicobacter pylori.
Important! Viral infections such as chickenpox, influenza, and measles are not treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics are involved in the treatment of these diseases in case of complications in the form of a bacterial infection.
It is most often prescribed to children in the treatment of angina, pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, otitis, it is effective in the treatment of pharyngitis and laryngitis. For effective treatment of angina, it is necessary to take backwater to determine the bacterium that causes the sore throat, since not all the bacteria that cause angina are sensitive to azithromycin. Read more about sore throat in the child’s sore throat article, which will give you all the necessary information about this very common disease.
How to give Sumamed to children
It should be immediately noted that this antibiotic is indicated for children weighing more than 5 kg and older than 6 months.
At the age of six months to 3 years prescribed in the form of a suspension.
To make a suspension, you need to add as much water as indicated in the instructions, and carefully dilute the solution (water is added at room temperature).
The resulting volume is 5 ml more declared – so the manufacturer compensates for the possible losses.
How to give a child a suspension:
- Arrange baby, as for feeding;
- Place the tip of the measuring syringe in the mouth and let the child swallow the medicine;
- To wash off the remnants of the drug, give a little juice or water.
The suspension has a pleasant fruity aroma, it is easy to give it to young children, calculating the required dose, based on the weight of the baby. After each use, the measuring spoon or syringe is thoroughly washed. After completing the course, the bottle, measuring spoon and syringe are disposed of.
Children from 3 years can get a pill form with a small amount of liquid (water or juice).
You can always calculate the required dosage in this way: 10 mg of active substance per 1 kg of the child’s weight.
The medicine has such side effects:
- heart rhythm disorder;
- skin rash.
Subject to the dosage and rules of administration of the drug is normally tolerated, and the appearance of side effects is in rare cases.
If your baby still has stool disorders, nausea, vomiting, taking the medication, you should stop taking the medication and consult a doctor for an antibiotic replacement.
Azithromycin accumulates in the liver and comes out with bile, so Sumamed is not intended for patients with serious disorders of liver function.
There are also contraindications:
- In case of intolerance to azithromycin or auxiliary components of the drug;
- In severe renal impairment;
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- With a weight of up to 5 kg in the form of a suspension;
- At the age of 3 years in tablets 125 mg;
- At the age of 6 years in tablets 250 mg;
- At the age of 12 years and / or body weight less than 45 kg in tablets of 500 mg.
Features of use
- Reception: once a day, which is very convenient for children who do not take medicines well (take them hard).
- It is necessary to observe the time interval and give the drug at the same time: between meals (one hour before or 2 hours after the baby has eaten).
- When treating infections of the respiratory tract, ENT organs, skin and soft tissues in children, the treatment period is only 3 days with a daily dose of 10 mg azithromycin per 1 kg of body weight.
- In the treatment of Lyme disease on the first day, the drug is given at a dosage of 20 mg per 1 kg of weight, then the dosage is reduced by 2 times and the course lasts another 4 days.
- The drug aggressively affects the digestive tract (sometimes diarrhea and flatulence). For the treatment of dysbiosis caused by antibiotics, usually prescribed a course of probiotics.
- If the baby in the next six months passed the course Sumamed, then his reappointment will not be effective. This applies to most antibiotics.
- This is a powerful antibiotic, improvements may occur after a single dose. But this is not a reason for the termination of the course. High efficiency and effect are associated with compliance with the dosage and duration of treatment.
Important! In order to simplify the administration of Sumamed, calculate the dose of the drug needed for children and purchase the medicine in a dosage of 125 mg, 250 mg or 500 mg depending on age, weight and disease (carefully follow the instructions).
Sumamed is an imported drug, its price both for suspension for children and for tablet form higher than the price of domestic analogues, such as Sumazid and Sumemecin. However, it should be borne in mind that Sumamed analogues for children may have a different dose of azithromycin, not such excipients. When recommending an alternative in a pharmacy, be sure to consult with the doctor who appointed you Sumamed to confirm the replacement.
Sumamed for children – video
See in a short video how easy it is to make a slurry. You will also learn that the genuine Sumamed product must have 2 protective stickers, which cannot be removed without damaging the packaging. Therefore, when buying, pay attention to the presence of such labels.
Now you know that for some bacterial infections, the use of an antibiotic is necessary. One of the modern universal antibiotics is Sumamed. He has a short course of use, in general, is well tolerated by children and highly effective.