Everyone knows that the baby lives in the womb due to the placenta. It is a unique organ that forms in the body of a pregnant woman and provides the fetus with nourishment and breathing, performing excretory, protective and hormonal functions for its normal development. In other words, the baby cannot exist in the womb without the placenta. Naturally, any deviations in the work of this body lead to serious violations in the development of the fetus. In this case, there is talk of placental insufficiency, when the blood circulation is disturbed and the mother – placenta – baby connection collapses.
Diagnosis of placental insufficiency
Placental insufficiency is dangerous because at first it does not manifest itself at all by some external symptoms. That is, the expectant mother can not even guess about her, feeling herself in perfect order. This is closer to the middle of pregnancy due to low activity of the baby and bloody vaginal discharge, you can guess about the problems of the placenta, but it may be too late. Therefore, it is important to get registered with a gynecologist in time and it is necessary to undergo an ultrasound scan, which is one of the methods for diagnosing this disease.
In modern medicine there are three such methods:
- Ultrasound procedure (Ultrasound) of the fetus shows the doctor the state of the placenta (its maturity and thickness), the size and physical activity of the fetus, the amount of amniotic fluid. In placental insufficiency, the placenta becomes thinner or, conversely, thickens. The kid shows weak activity at the same time, because it lacks oxygen. Amniotic fluid can also be more or less than the norm.
- Cardiotocography (CTG) is a synchronized recording of uterine contractions and the heartbeat of the fetus. If the placental insufficiency is confirmed, CTG in the hospital is conducted daily to the doctor to monitor the condition of the fetus and placenta activity, as well as the success of the treatment.
- Dopplerometry – This is a special form of ultrasound, it helps to trace the state of blood flow in the umbilical cord, uterus and fetal brain.
For a more complete picture of the disease, the doctor usually prescribes all three procedures.
Treatment of placental insufficiency
According to the results of research, the doctor determines the severity of placental insufficiency and only then prescribes a certain course of treatment. In mild forms of the disease (compensated insufficiency) outpatient treatment is possible, but most often requires constant monitoring by a physician, and the pregnant woman goes to hospital. At the same time, they can prescribe the following groups of drugs (they should be taken only as prescribed by a doctor):
- to reduce the tone of the uterus (no-spa, magnesium sulphate or ginipral);
- for activating metabolic processes (ascorbic acid, Troxevasin, vitamin E, Aktovegin);
- to eliminate fetal hypoxia, improve microcirculation (Curantil);
- for normalization of uteroplacental blood flow (Eufillin, glucose-novocaine mixture, Trental);
- for calming the nervous system (glycine, valerian, motherwort tincture).
This disease is practically not treated: all these drugs only help to maintain the fetal intrauterine state and the placenta’s vital activity. Most often, placental insufficiency ends with a cesarean section (more details here: when a cesarean section is desired).
Prevention of placental insufficiency
Prevention of placental insufficiency, which every pregnant woman should know about, is very important:
- Before pregnancy, you need to be screened for chronic diseases, genital infections;
- proper nutrition during pregnancy;
- taking vitamins;
- full sleep;
- sufficient motor activity;
- calm and lack of stress and nervous breakdowns during pregnancy;
- rejection of bad habits.
There are a number of conclusions about the dangers of detergent cosmetics. Unfortunately, not all newly-made moms listen to them. In 97% of baby shampoos, the dangerous substance Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) or its analogues is used. Many articles have been written about the effects of this chemistry on the health of both children and adults. At the request of our readers, we tested the most popular brands. The results were disappointing – the most publicized companies showed the presence of those most dangerous components. In order not to violate the legal rights of manufacturers, we cannot name specific brands.
The company Mulsan Cosmetic, the only one who passed all the tests, successfully received 10 points out of 10 (see). Each product is made from natural ingredients, completely safe and hypoallergenic.
If you doubt the naturalness of your cosmetics, check the expiration date, it should not exceed 10 months. Come carefully to the choice of cosmetics, it is important for you and your child.
Placental insufficiency today is detected at various stages of pregnancy and is successfully treated (as far as possible). However, expectant mothers need to take care that things do not come to such a serious diagnosis. After all, the prevention of this disease lies primarily in the healthy lifestyle of the mother. By breaking it, it is very easy to cause irreparable harm to the placenta – and therefore to the baby.